“Really!” “Oh, come on now! No way does God spend time talking with me.” This prevailing attitude seems to be man’s normal expectation when it comes to hearing from God.
“God has much better things to do than to speak to little ole me.” Does He? We are the purpose of all that He has created. He paid a dear price in the death of His Son so that we could have a relationship with Him via the spirit. Don’t you think the Father would utilize that spirit to communicate with us?
Consider why He “invented” speaking in tongues and used it to introduce the new birth realities on the Day of Pentecost. “For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God” (I Corinthians 14:2a). Now we can pray in the spirit for the first time, which is talking to God. Would the Father not reciprocate by speaking to us via the other manifestations of the spirit such as word of knowledge and word of wisdom or in spirit action?
We should be expecting to hear from our Heavenly Father. Remember when Jesus shared with His apostles on several occasions about the coming “comforter?” This comforter was the gift of holy spirit that came for the first time on the Day of Pentecost. In John 14:26 we see how involved the “comforter” which is the spirit, would be in the believer’s life: “he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.”
We need to tune in to God’s frequency. How do we do that?
The other day I was driving my car and trying to find KJOY, a popular Christian radio show. I was all over the dial until I finally hit upon it. Once I knew the right frequency number it was easy to find.
How do I Tune In to God?
- First know it is available to hear from God and that He is talking to us. Realize, as a Father, God talks with His kids!
- Get into the right frame of mind to receive. Speaking in tongues is a wonderful way to get tuned in. Read the Scriptures often. This is God’s written communication which is the basis of Him audibly talking to you.
- Do a prayer journal. Have a booklet that you can write several paragraphs of your prayer and desires to the Father. Then on the opposite page write what God puts on your heart. This is a very effective means of hearing from God.
- Remember it is an active relationship between you and the Father. He loves you very much, so He talks with you.
- Act on what you hear.
While searching for my radio station, what I heard most was static. We need to be able to clear out the static, so we can hear the Father.
Static Makes For a Weak Reception From God
- You become so busy with worldly endeavors that you forget to listen for the Father’s voice.
- You are not in the spirit mode. In other words you are not walking by the spirit. Speaking in tongues fixes this problem quickly.
- Making choices without seeking the Heavenly Father’s advice or checking with a brother or sister in the church.
Our Heavenly Father wants to work with us. He really does! “For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure” Philippians 2:13. If this is the case then He will be talking to us. All we need to do is keep an ear out for Him as we walk by the spirit.